Monday, February 18, 2008

Taste of the Far East

In honor of Spring's unexpected arrival, I tried a new beer today. It was a delicious hay-colored Asahi Super Dry lager. Man, I needed it too; today I spent an hour and a half with our fabulous wedding event coordinator. Men: beware. If you ever get asked to go along with your fiancée to help with the table arrangements and final wedding preparations, get out of it! Seriously. Like, cut off your arm if you have to. An hour and a half passed in what seemed like a week. Ugh, sweet beer...

Today's Beer
Asahi Super DryTaste the rising sun...

Asahi Super Dry is brought to us by a Japanese brewing company called Asahi Breweries, Ltd. According to their website, Asahi Breweries started a beer revolution in Japan with the release of their Super Dry. They moved from being the third largest brewery to the second largest brewery in Japan. Progress! The term "dry beer" is a marketing (stupid marketing people...) term for a fully attenuated pale lager; which comes from a long fermentation period. During which, nearly all the sugar is converted to alcohol resulting in a clean, lean flavor.
Asahi Super Dry definitely lives up to it's title; and I think it is a very good beer. The "dry" taste is interesting, because I do feel a dryness akin to being thirsty in the back of my throat when I stop drinking it. It makes me think "hmm, another beer would really help quench my thirst." This is likely how many bad nights begin for people in Japan, as the search in vein to quench a thirst caused by the very beer they're drinking. Hangover, I know you well.
Maybe I am a n00b for never having had the beer, but it was a very good beer. Not as good as an Amurican lager, but a nice change of pace. Anyway, I need another four to forget how long I talked about place settings today...

2 comments:

Martha said...

Ah yes the woes of wedding planner meetings. I often wished I had a nice beverage during our meetings and I was the bride!

Next time I would opt for something a bit more hardcore to do the job.

Like absinthe.

BK said...

Seriously. Tommy does not know how to SHUT UP EVER!