Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Double Feature

Today we have a wonderful surprise for my blogulating audience! It's a Friday miracle, you get to hear about both a SANDWICH and a BEER. Finally I'm living up to the title of this thing!

Originally I was going to write a post about a sandwich I got from Coppola's deli here in Richmond; however I ate it without taking a picture. Oops! It's better that I don't write about that one though, because it was a let down.

Today's beer looked like it was going to be good. I have become quite a fan of Belgian wheat ales as of late; Blue Moon is one of my favorite beers and I hoped this one would be similar.

Today's BeerFruity and delicious...
Shock Top Belgian Wheat

This beer was good. The lable claimed to have won some awards the past two years, so I was confident it would at least be drinkable. Shock Top turned out to be made with lemon, lime, and orange peels along with coriander. The inclusion of coriander helped spice this up quite a bit, but I wonder if it wasn't a bit too spicy for what I think of and enjoy in a wheat ale. The hints of fruits and the sweet taste are what make wheat ales so drinkable and refreshing, and I think the coriander might have detracted from that slightly. Overall, a good beer though!



Today's Sandwich
Turkey-liscious
Turkey Breast
Wheat Bread
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Red Onions
Banana Peppers
Honey Mustard


Mmmm buddy. The classic. This was a plain turkey sandwich but it was so good! Sometimes I forget about classics like this and get caught up in the world of exotic pickles, sun dried tomatoes, and pungent cheeses. It's good to return home though. This was the sandwich I made as a kid (maybe not with onions or banana peppers then). Changing up and returning to old standards does wonders for me, as I can appreciate the rare and exotic treats that are more complex sandwiches.

No comments: