Monday, March 3, 2008

The Tale of The Great Chain Sandwich!

C'mon kiddies! Gather 'round! Let me tell you a wonderful tale about sandwiches! And if you're very good, perhaps a beer too!

Yesterday was a grand day! The lady and I had tickets to see Regina Spektor at Toad's Place, so I had to get my sandwich on in a hurry. Since we had just finished bowling (yeah, I got a 48, beat that, internet!) at Short Pump we decided to stop at Arby's. Usually, I have very little faith in fast food restaurant sandwiches, but I thought I would give it a shot. As for today's beer, I had it earlier last week after work from the Strawberry Street Market.

Today's Beer
Otter HeadIt's got chunks of real otter!

Otter Head is a traditional English bitter brewed by the Otter Brewery in the UK. I don't know where in the UK, and I won't bother looking because it isn't AMURICA. And if it ain't AMURICAN then I'm not interested! Oh, sorry about that.
Anyway, Otter Head ale has a fruity taste, with a subtle hoppiness. I thought it was a good bitter, which is a bit like an IPA on less intense. I drank it a while ago, so I don't have too much to say about it. The sandwich, on the other hand, I could out write Joyce.

Today's Sandwich
Arby's Toasted ClubOMG THIS WAS AMAZING
Ciabbata bread
Old Tyme Ham (what is that!?)
Rotisserie Turkey
Cheddar
Swiss
Applewood Smoked Bacon
Tomato soaked in redwine vinegar
lettuce
onions
herb mayo

Holy crap, what an amazing sandwich. If you can see the photo, the halo that surrounded the sandwich didn't come out so well. This was probably the most delicious sandwich I've ever had at a chain restaurant. And that means something, because I eat a LOT of sandwiches. The turkey was rotisserie cooked so it was juicy and thick (that one's for you, Dave). I thought at first the combination of cheddar and swiss would be too much cheese, but because of the ham and applewood smoked bacon it was a nice counterpoint to the salted meats.
The attention to detail was immaculate. The tomatoes had been soaked in red wine vinegar. The ciabatta bread was lightly covered in garlic butter on one side, and herb mayo on the other. Oh, it was wonderful, let me tell you! Why are you still reading this? GO GET THIS SANDWICH!

No comments: