Monday, March 31, 2008

My New Favorite Sandwich is 700 Miles Away!

So, on my recent honeymoon to Portland, I took it upon myself to try the fruits of the land up North. Great seafood abounds in Portland, and I wanted to try a bit of everything. Let me elaborate...

Today's SandwichMmmmm crabtacular
Old Port Sandwich Shop's Crab Wrap
Crab Meat
Mayo
Sprouts
Tomato
Lettuce
Spinach Wrap

This sandwich was a dream. I love crab steamed and in cake form, so it was not surprising that I liked this sandwich so much. Old Port Sandwich Shop is located near the coast of Portland, in the "Old Port" section of town. We had been out on the town all day, and I was starving when I got there. Under advisement of the sandwich artist on staff, I tried the crab with mayo, and I think it was a great move. It was a nice compliment to the sweetness of the crab meat, and this particular meat was VERY fresh. It tasted like they pulled it out of the water right before I walked in the door. Fantastic. I've tried to recreate the sandwich here at home, but it just hasn't been the same. Blue crab from the Bay may be a good substitute, I will let you know when I have the extra money to buy some. Anyway, mark this as a strong contender for "sandwich of the year". Oh man, does that exist? If not, I am totally inventing that award. I'll be back tomorrow to write about Portland's microbrew scene!

Update I found a link to the shop I was talking about. You know, in case someone in Portland reads this. Probably not going to get a lot of traffic from me...

No comments: