Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Dark Starr For Dark Skies

With tonight's inclement weather, tonight's beer is fitting. A tempest rages outside! Beware! Another tree branch fell in our yard, luckily it missed our sweet new firebowl! Amid this ominous setting I poured out a nice cold beverage to hunker down and cry weather the storm.

Today's Beer
Starr Hill Dark Starr Stout
It tastes like UVa... gross
Today's beer comes to us from the distant land of upturned collars and quality education (whatevz!). You might know it as Charlottesville, but I delete it from all maps I buy so I cannot talk about it. Starr Hill brewery in Charlottesville, VA is the maker of Dark Starr Stout. Their Jomo Lager is the best I have had from Starr Hill so far, so I decided to give their stout a try. Honestly, I'm not impressed. It lacks the coffee flavor of Guiness that comes from roasting the barley just right. I consider Guiness to be the type species of stouts. It has a long history that has allowed the makers of Guiness to perfect their recipe; whereas Starr Hill has some work ahead. It definitely is not terrible, but it just isn't great. Alright, I just heard a scary wussy lightning bolt outside, I have to go.

1 comment:

Martha said...

I actually prefer Charlottesville's alternate slogan:

"Charlottesville: Where Careers Come to Die"